When does the season start and end?
- Optional preseason clinics start in February. The spring season will start with practices after April 1st, games will start in the middle of May and will finish late June with a week of tournament play. The fall season will start with practices after August 1st, games will start the weekend after Labor Day and run for 6 weeks.
How many games and/or practices will be held during the week?
- For the spring season many coaches will hold two practices during the week. However, for the older girls, the coaches may choose to hold practices on Saturday as well. During the season coaches still may hold weekend practices or one during the week depending on the game schedule. Coaches discretion determines the practice schedule.
- For the spring season, normally your daughter will play two games a week with the majority being held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and an occasional Saturday. Games held out of town will be determined by the host team and will not necessarily be scheduled on a Tuesday or Thursday during the week. All games in Sycam.
- For the fall season most coaches will hold two practices during the week and Saturday practices are common. Once games begin many coaches will still hold practices during the week.ore will start at 6:00 p.m. Teams in the 12U, 14U and High School league have the opportunity to play under the lights on fields 2 and 3, with a start time of 8:00 p.m. Please be aware that due to rain outs double headers may be scheduled to make up any missed games
- Games for the fall season are double-headers on Saturdays only.
What size balls do they use?
- Kindergarten uses 9 inch t-balls. 1st-4th grades use 11 inch softballs. All other levels use 12 inch softballs.
What size glove does my daughter need?
- When purchasing a glove for your daughter, make sure it is a softball glove. Your daughter's glove must be able to hold the ball for her age group. As you continue with the softball program, your daughter's glove will need to be replaced.
If I would like to purchase a bat for my daughter, what type should I buy?
- The purchase of bats is optional. If you would like to buy one it must only be an official softball bat, but no specific organization such as ASA. The length of the bat should never exceed the height of the player's waist. All other specifications of the bat will be based on player preference.
What are Player Evaluations?
- Player evaluations are for grades 3 and above. They only serve to keep the teams fairly matched. This is not a try out and everyone will be assigned a team regardless of ability.
When will I know what team I am on?
- Coaches will be calling players around Spring break and everyone will be contacted prior to April 1st.
It's April 1st and I have not been contacted. Now what do I do
- Contact us on our feedback page.
How old does my daughter have to be to play?
- Pre-K, age 5, through 12th grade at the time of registration.
May I request my daughter to be on a specific coach's team or the same team as one of her friends?
- This is applicable only to Pre-K through 2nd grade. There is no guarantee that the requests will be honored, however we will do our best. Our primary goal is to keep the teams as fair as possible.
My daughter is in other activities that will conflict with softball. Will she still be able to play?
- Yes. Please keep your coach informed of the potential conflicts. Keep in mind that softball is a team sport. Excessive conflicts will affect the team as a whole, as well as your daughter's success in the program.
Our family would like to request financial assistance. How do I go about processing this request?
- You must attend one of the two Walk In Registration sessions that are scheduled. Please refer to our events calendar for dates and times. At registration there will be scholarship forms available. We will be happy to address any questions or concerns regarding the scholarship at that time.
Is this a travel league?
- No. The majority of games will be played in Sycamore. There will be some travel to others towns in our area, with the furthest being no more than a half hour distance. With the exception of Pre-K/Kindergarten where all games will be held in Sycamore.
What does the uniform consist of? May I purchase extra items?
- The girls will be furnished a jersey, black pants and a pair of socks. Fourth grade and below will be provided with a visor. You may purchase extra items when you register for an additional cost. No requests for jersey numbers will be taken.
What equipment does SGS provide?
- SGS provides equipment to the coaches for team use. These items include balls, bats, batting helmets, catching gear and other miscellaneous items. Girls must provide their own glove. Girls may also want a sliding pad/sliding shorts. Many girls in the upper grades do own their own bats and batting helmets. Parents may use their discretion when it comes to purchasing equipment.
When may I register my daughter for the Fall Ball League?
- The Fall Ball League will be for all girls with the exception of Pre-K/Kindergarten. You may register for the fall league beginning in June 2016 at the end of the spring league. A fall league for any grade level is contingent on enough participants registering.
Is it true that this is the best youth organization in Sycamore?